Subsidised studios at Wysing are for visual artists who are:
- At Wysing as a developmental opportunity.
- Committed to critically engaged contemporary visual art practice.
- Establishing a career as a professional artist.
- Committed to at least two days/ 16 hours per working week (excluding weekends) to using their studio. We understand that artists may need to be away from studios to undertake commissions and residencies but ask that Wysing is kept informed of long absences.
- Exhibiting or engaging in opportunities (exhibitions, projects, residencies) regularly, nationally and internationally.
- Committed to constructively participate in the active artistic community at Wysing.
- Keen to allow visitors to the site access to their studio.
- Willing to participate in opportunities to promote Wysing and its activities, when appropriate.
Wysing subsidises the studios through its Arts Council England funding, to enable rents to remain low. Wysing is an educational charity and a not-for-profit organisation and as such studio artists are currently exempt from paying business rates. Studios therefore cannot be used as a registered business address or to undertake solely commercial activity.